Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Ian's Paradise


"The idea for Ian's Paradise came from a conversation with my 8 year old son, Ian.  I asked him what he thought of when he thought of being calm, completely at peace, trusting the world and all the people in it.  Without hesitating, he said, "Ian's Paradise.""
- Melissa, Mom of Ian (8) 


In this post, we chat to Melissa and her son Ian about their new business,  Ian's Paradise. Check out their website for more details!

Tell us a bit about how you decided to start your business.


Melissa: We had made lap pillows for Ian almost a year ago when Vanessa suggested it may help him. She had been impressed with the pillows that we made and suggested that we make them for other people. At the time it seemed outside reality and I didn't take it seriously. Then, a few months ago, Ian and I were talking about how to make extra money - I an wanted an electric train set and I wanted a new planter box. I asked Ian if he would like to make pillows to get the money we wanted. He brightened, said yes, and off we went!

How have sensory sensitivities impacted Ian's life, and your family life as a whole?

Ian: The sound sensitivity is wearing off - at the fireworks I even had my headphones off this time. In class, sometimes I do go and get headphones. Sometimes I bellow, "Silence!", but I am learning how to make a different choice. Sometimes, very rarely, I ask for a break. Sometimes I still use my (noise-canceling) headphones in class when my "people sensitivity" is up.
Melissa: When we are out & about, if things get crazy, as a family we find a quiet place to sit down and make good choices. Over the years, his sensitivities have gotten better because of a combination of Occupational Therapy, specialized yoga (YEAS) and Vital Sounds Therapeutic Listening program. We don't have to avoid large crowds anymore - but we now know more about what "revs" and calms his engine. Vanessa has shown us how deep pressure works, and when she first squished him with a pillow, he instantly calmed down and tension immediately broke. He likes the pressure, and now asks for us to "moosh" him whenever he needs it.

How do the pillows work?


Ian: They help calm me. I put them on my lap. They feel good and comfortable.
Melissa: One day we were being silly and put 4 pillows on Ian - on his legs, body and one on his face. I was struck by how much he liked it, and we put some photos up on the website of him covered in pillows.

Who are they for?


Ian: Customers.
Melissa: They will help anyone who has vestibular & proprioceptive sensory challenges. I am not a professional - but from experience - I have seen how much weighted items help people who don't even have sensitivities. If someone comes over and sees one of the pillows in our living room, they instinctively pick them up and put them on their body. I am not even sure that they are aware of what they are doing, or the sensation that they are creating - I simply see that most people really like having pressure applied to their bodies.

Explain your partnership with Kahlon Family Services & YEAS.


Ian: We make the pillows, Vanessa uses them.
Melissa: Vanessa knew that there was a demand for affordable sensory integration props. Now that we are in the flow of making them, we are selling them online. Vanessa also takes a few to her YEAS (Yoga Education for Autism Spectrum) training sessions and lets people have personal experience with how they work. The eye pillow is included in the YEAS program backpacks that are sold online and through Kahlon Family Services. If people want to order any of the other pillows, they are all available online at our website www.iansparadise.com


No comments:

Post a Comment